Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Parent/teacher conferences are tomorrow, and I have an issue I ought to address with my oldest daughter's teacher, and I'm trying to decide how to do it without sounding like a total bitch.  Normally, it would not phase me, but my child is particularly fond of this teacher, and so I want to handle it carefully as to not affect their relationship, but still get the point across.

This teacher is very religious and very, very conservative, and, well, I'm not; this disparity between the instructor and the parent has created a little bit of confusion in my child.  Bear in mind my kids do not attend a private, religious school, which means neither religion nor politics belongs in the classroom; yet both have found their way to this classroom.  While I understand the area in which I live is fairly religious and very conservative, and most of the parents would not have any real problem with what is going on, I am not most parents, and I do have a problem with it.

However, I have to decide if it is really worth bringing up, or if I should let it go.

This is a constant struggle for me, and sometimes I wonder if I should continue to live where my beliefs and my views are so vastly different from so much of the population.  I have been asked on occasion why I do live here; it isn't like I haven't lived in other places (Phoenix and L.A.), or had the opportunity to travel extensively; but this has always pretty much been home.  My grandparents lived here for over 30 years, and I still reside on a property which has been in my family since 1907; it, and another property, are mine free and clear, and that's something not a lot of people can say.  Not only that, but my children were born here, and have been raised here.  Both love the school they attend, and, for the most part, they are happy, well adjusted kids. 

But does all this make it worth staying?  Truth be known, if it weren't for my children and for the properties, I more than likely wouldn't remain.  I also have a have a home in Seattle, and I could very easily disappear into that city's framework and never cause a ripple; my views and my beliefs would never be questioned.  But the truth of the matter is that I do have children (although I am sure they would adjust to city life), and I do own properties, and whether I will admit it or not, there is a connection that I have to this place.  I'm not saying that connection could never be broken, and at sometime it just might be; but for now, it is still very much in tact, and the thought of running from here simply because of the challenges I face over who I am and what I believe seems almost cowardly.

So how to deal with this teacher who thinks Sarah Palin is just oh, so GREAT?  I guess the best I can do is address it with her openly, honestly, and directly; not in a confrontational manner, but in a way that hopefully conveys that while I respect her, and I appreciate the connection she has with my daughter, I would ask that she also show the same respect to me and to our differences of opinion.

And speaking of opinions, my daughter has voiced hers, and that is for me to not say anything, which is a very real option.  Perhaps she's right; perhaps I should just let it go and just make sure my daughter knows that if she has questions about something brought up in the classroom (Sarah Palin is NOT GREAT), she can come to me and talk it out.  Besides I want her to know that people can think and believe in different ways and still be good people, and her teacher truly is a good person.

Maybe the best thing I can do is go to the conference and see how the conversation plays out; if the opening presents itself, then I can talk it out with the teacher.  If it doesn't, then I will let it go and just monitor the situation, making sure to step in if it really starts to get out of hand.

Meanwhile, I will just remind myself how much in rains in Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment