One of the biggest issues I struggle with in terms of Christianity is the concept of "free will". I know what it is, and I know how it plays a role in religion, but that doesn't mean I understand it fully, nor do I get why those who do not have it are still subjected to the consequences of the actions of those who do, and this is one of the things that really made me question faith and religion altogether.
We all know the theory behind "free will"; Adam and Eve exercised it when they chose to eat the fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, and in this exercise of free will, they were disobedient and subsequently expelled from the Garden of Eden. Fair enough; to adults screw up and pay the price for their choice. But my problem is this: what about those who do not have conscious access to free will? Where is their protection until they do?
I have had this conversation with members of my group mainly about how it pertains to children, and my question has always been if God is suppose to be benevolent and loving, then why do children get born into poverty, why do they get beaten, why do they get molested and why do they die, often at the hands of those who are suppose to protect them? I have been told, in the greatest of faith, that it is because of our disobedience to God and because of our insistence on free will that the human race as a whole is subject to the punishment, and that includes the most defenseless among us. As an adult, I am perfectly willing to make my own choices, for whatever they are worth, and accept the outcome of those choices; however, a child does not have that right to choice.
A child does not choose to be born to a drug addict, or to be born in Africa, or to be abandoned in a dumpster, or to get cancer. A four year old will not opt to be molested by her mother's boyfriend; nor will a 9 year old say "yes" to becoming a toy for her stepfather, as well as becoming pregnant by him. No two year old I know would choose to be murdered by her mother, and an 8 year old is not going to ask to be stuffed into a suitcase. In short, these children do not have the free will so often touted as the cause for human misery. So where is God for these kids? Doesn't the Bible say, blessed are the children? If children are a gift and a blessing, shouldn't there be something in the contract that states they will be free from disease and torment and death until they are old enough to exercise the free will the rest of us are held accountable for?
The other issue I have with "free will" is that it is perfectly acceptable to blame "free will" when we screw up, but when we do or receive something good, we are immediately suppose to give God the credit for it. I have heard it more than once; someone gets in trouble or does something wrong, it is the fault of free will (and Satan), but if a person receives a gift or a promotion, then that's from God.
Really? Why? Why doesn't "free will" play a part in the good as well as the bad? If we have the free will to fuck up our lives, don't we also have the free will to fix them? Yes, we have the free will to snort that line, but we also have the free will to enter rehab (unless, of course, it is court ordered). We may have the choice to bounce from job to job, but we also have the choice to stick it out, bust our ass and work our way up. We can decide to have unprotected sex and breed senselessly, or we can decide to use condoms and birth control and not bring another unwanted baby into this world.
The truth is we do have free will, but we also have the ability decide if we are going to use it in a positive or negative fashion, and as far as I'm concerned, God really has nothing to do with it. In reality, free will is nothing more than our ethics, our conscience, and our knowledge of right and wrong, and if free will is going to be the reason for our punishment, then it should also be the factor behind our reward, and those who cannot exercise it should not be punished for it.
I feel compelled to comment on this one gal. I completely respect your opinions and have enjoyed reading your thoughts as of late. My perception of what you are posting this time is that you are angry, angry with people who have claimed to be a Christian. I believe a true Christian is humble and forgiving and compassionate. I would never be so bold as to blame my mistakes on Satan or free will or anything of the sort. I make a conscious decision every time I blink my eyes and I do it knowing full well the repercussions, good or bad, that may follow. I love to debate religion. Why? Because I do NOT know everything and any question is a valid question. Debating stirs emotions both good and bad and causes thought. Thought usually causes research and research will allow people to make an INFORMED decision on the subject. It's true that many people follow the rules - be nice, go to church, blah blah blah. That, does not constitute a Christian. Many people are lazy in their faith and want it to be easy and just do and think as the preacher/pastor tells them. I, too, am saddened when I see a child suffer or wronged but the truth is that nowhere does it ever state that being a Christian is easy. Nowhere does it state that injustices won't happen to innocent people, children and adults alike. I have made mistake after mistake after mistake and I have no one to blame but me. People have always said that it is easier to believe the bad about yourself than the good. Sometimes I think this type of reasoning can help me explain my religious questions. How can I be worth someone giving their own life? How could one being love me so much to give up everything for me? Then I look to my children, innocent and perfect, and know the answer - a parent can. I think of the many blessings in my life that I haven't earned or don't always deserve as well as those children who don't deserve to be born into poverty or despair. Both sides of the coin are given to the world. I hope to continue our conversation on this matter and others with you because I respect your intelligence and the obvious care and love you share with those around you.
ReplyDelete